:: BerDerp™ ::

dishing out life through the lens… it tells all

:: Alabama Back Roads pt 2 ::

with 5 comments

We think some malicious foul play occurred here. Although the new church has been constructed about 30 – 40 yards to the right of this damaged old church, clearly razing and removing the debris hasn’t made it onto the “To Do List” yet.

Huge Victorian house in Red Level, AL a tiny dot on the map to which we set off in search of fabled wooden sidewalks; turns out we were probably 150 years too late. It’s possible my source was wrong, but also entirely plausible there was a tiny remnant of the wooden sidewalks in the town somewhere — however, we weren’t going to search for that needle that afternoon.

pecan orchard

Advertisements

Written by kapshure

January 4, 2009 at 6:04 pm

Posted in Uncategorized

5 Responses

1. I am from Alabama and I was enjoying your photographs from our state. However I am curious as to where you are from because of your speculations of the fire damaged church. I quote “We think arson or a bomb occured here.” Well lets see, seems to this old Alabama boy that if it were a bomb there would have been walls out in the yard and a roof collapsed in the center and quite possible the front doors would have been blown off. Certainly there would have been no window panes left intact. If it were arson it is highly unlikely that anything would have been left for the local volunteeer fire department to salvage which they obviously did and contained it right well and got there in a short amount of time since over half of the wood frame structure is left intact. Seems as though one would have investigated the matter before making such an assumption and then posting it on the website.
    Quite often people from Alabama are stereotyped as the ignorant, redneck type certainly of less standing than more educated and intellectual individuals not from our great atate. But every once in a while someone makes an ignorant undiscerned stereotypical assumption and well proves out that Alabamians are not the only ones capable of showing that they just don’t know everything. Ignorance knows no boundaries nor is it a respector of stste lines. Thanks for your time. Tim from Alabama
    p.s. Unless you can verify that the church was bombed or arsoned I think the intellectual educated thing to do would be remove your speculation from your posting about the church.

tim ryan

March 19, 2011 at 3:11 pm

2. @tooley58

Sorry for the late reply, I’ve just had a lot going on. To speak to your statements: I am actually from Alabama, Mobile to be precise, and I was with my mom that day as we took a “backroad” excursion so I could take photos of things other than big urban cities. As such, we both were talking about what we thought might have happened here. the bowing of the frames made us just “ignorantly”, and to some degree, apparently, “naive” to the fact that maybe it was just plain ol’ darn accidental fire.

I crawled all up in that thing, I wouldnt say now in retrospect that it was arson, but who knew. We just made that remark in passing, and I happened to post it. Who knew it would offend :P

Nevertheless, I am not going to engage any further, I appreciate your feedback, and I’m glad you enjoy the photos.

Thanks
    -berDerp!

kapshure

May 24, 2011 at 11:48 pm

3. Perhaps it was a blowdown from windstorm (tornado or straight line) which may have caused a short and fired part of the church.

Maureen from Jefferson County AL

July 1, 2013 at 7:14 am

4. @Maureen — that’s very possible too. I didnt mean to imply anything here maliciously and my verbiage may be conveying a message that many see as an inappropriate assumption. I admit, this was a mistake, and was really just conjecture. I hope no one was hurt there, and that it was something more along the lines of a natural incident vs something put upon the church by a nefarious individual.

If you care to look at more of my Alabama BackRoads images – click here

I also have quite a bit of images that are Mobile,AL centric – click here

Thank You for viewing.

kapshure

August 18, 2013 at 12:12 pm

5. Being from Alabama, I greatly appreciate these rural photographs as well as the efforts of the photographer who took the time to take them and post them to the net. Thank you.
    As far as the comments about the partially burned church; I am certainly not offended, and in fact, when I first saw the picture one of my first thoughts were, well I wonder if that was one of the rural African American churches that was set ablaze by arsonists several years ago. The truth is, more than one church in Alabama has fallen to the hands of arsonists over the years. It is also true that memories of violent acts like arson, tend to linger in ones mind for a very long time, therefore a first estimation that any given burned building in a region with a known history of arson, might have been set afire by arsonists, is certainly not an unreasonable estimation. The individual who posted these pictures and comments has nothing to apologize for, and I hope to be seeing more of their work in the future.

jamesofthecommons